Saturday 26 April 2014

Blessings of Encouragement

This week has been a great one for David and me. We had Easter break so we had Monday off from school, and then I had a field trip with my class, and both shortened our school days considerably. Having so much free time has left a wide opening in our lives to research, think about and plan for our adoption. We’ve had a big jump in the people that are following us on Facebook and on this blog which is totally exciting, and just a little bit scary. We’ve had so many people asking questions about our adoption, but even more than that have felt totally supported! I have experienced students that have such kind hearts and their parents that stand behind them or are being the paradigm of examples of kindness.

Last week, I wrote about a lady who bought two jars of the cookie mixes at the VERY last minute of the Easter Brunch. On Wednesday I found out that she is a close friend of the family of my student Joon, whom I also tutor. She gave one of the jars she bought to Joon’s mom, who made them for a snack for him during tutoring. We shared the snack, and after tutoring Joon’s mom bought another jar of mix!  I was so blown away by the kindness of these sweet people; God must have orchestrated all this to encourage our hearts, and it definitely did! There was also another student who had bought the mix Saturday with his own money, then he brought the cookies into school to share with the other students! His mom showed me her bracelet, so proudly, and told me how it totally suits her! Man, I love my class! I love the students and the parents who raise them!

On a more logistic note, we think we have decided on the agency we would like to apply to; MLJ Adoptions, INC. They work with expats, they have experience with adopting from Bulgaria, they respond quickly, they have a great, detailed website, and overall didn’t make me feel bad for being young. The person who works with parents adopting from Bulgaria has a blog and has actually adopted herself! Her name is Lydia Tarr, which makes her feel like family! They told us we could start the process of applying 6 months in advance of me turning 25, but I don’t think we will apply until a little closer to the New Year (2015). That should give us time to get the money together for the home study, and hopefully money for after that. Once we get started on this process, things will start happening rapidly. Since we want to adopt a sibling group, and we’re open to ages 0-10 chances are we will have a referral pretty quickly (as I was informed by the agency I contacted). We’re looking at expenses anywhere from $27,000-34,000, most of which we will have to scrape together in a two year period, starting now. We’re starting to sell the cookie mixes, and I think the interest has been peaked for the foreign community. I have also begun selling some sketches and my hemp creations! Our adoption fund is up to almost $800!

Our next fundraiser is going to be… 
Drumroll please! 

One of the quilt squares - Choose a Color triangle if you want!
Quilt Squares! Ok… this is how it works: I have a bunch of quilt squares from fabric I bought and cut in the USA. Each triangle will cost $5, and you will be able to either write a message yourself, tell me what message you would like on it and I will make it for you, or choose to leave it blank. I will then use the squares to make two blankets for our children. I will also buy more fabric, up to the amount of fabric requested by you! I will make more blankets, and I will leave any extra blankets made at the orphanage when we go to meet/pick-up our kids! You get to help orphans all across the board! I’m so excited about this fundraiser! All you have to do to buy one is get to one of our Adoption representatives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

James 1:27

"We care for orphans NOT because we are the rescuers, but but because we are the rescued."- David Platt.
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure & faultless is this: to look after orphans & widows in their distress.