Sunday 5 October 2014

What if God thought this way?

I would like to talk about something that has been on my heart for a while. I had been reading about all the people who had adopted and had dealt with rude comments. I have been contemplating how I would respond to these people.

I have dealt with several comments already. Mostly people are just confused. One of David's students asked us why in the world we would do something like this. But he didn't stop there. He called us crazy for selling things to raise money. He criticized adopting children that were going to be "messed up." He topped it all with a whopper "Oh, my G--, teacher! You're not God! You can't save all the children!" We've also had people tell us that we are young, that we'll change our minds soon. That having adopted children can never come close to having your own. That adopted children are messed up and why don't we just start with our own instead. That adoption just costs too much to be really worth it, and we might as well just try to start a family of our own. Now, some of these are curiosity, some of these just aren't any of their business, but I've tried with as much grace as I can sum up in that moment to explain our call regardless.

This is what hit me in the face: What if God had thought these things? What if he thought, "You know, adoption of these people sure does cost a lot." "These people are going to be more screwed up than if I had my own kids." "I'm not going to be able to save all of them." "The process is just too hard and stressful for me." "I'll just wait and see how I feel after I start my own family."

Google Image
Wow. I have never felt so convicted to adopt as when this hit me. God's cost was so much steeper than anything I could ever pay. God deals with a lot more behavior problems than I will ever have to with adopted kids. God deals with the grief that not all of us will be saved (by choice!). God dealt and deals with a much harder process of adopting his children than I ever could.
Praise Him! He gave and gives more than I deserve and nothing I could ever do would amount to what he has done. Thank you Lord that you cared enough for us to pay that price, to deal with our loads of crap and to continue to parent me regardless of all of my flaws.

So I have to leave you with the thought that brought me here:
What if God thought they way you do about Orphans?
Thank Him that he doesn't!


No comments:

Post a Comment

James 1:27

"We care for orphans NOT because we are the rescuers, but but because we are the rescued."- David Platt.
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure & faultless is this: to look after orphans & widows in their distress.