Saturday 19 October 2013

Receiving New information: The Difficulties of Adoption Internationally as an Expat

I have begun inquiring about different options, as far as agencies go, about us getting a home study. I received an email from one of them. Apparently there will be a “new law going into effect next summer…” Essentially this law will require every international adoption to be through a Hague Accredited agency which, by the way, is very expensive. There are extra fees including one for just being a Hague accredited agency ($500). Oh, and just because we live in China does not mean it exempts us from this at all. Apparently if you live in any Hague accredited country (which both USA and China are), you must use a Hague accredited agency.
                Now I must confess something. Lately, I have been feeling very uneasy and nervous about us pursuing adoption. I have just been questioning if we’re even going to be able to jump through all the hoops we need to in order to adopt. We don’t make that much money in terms of USD, our home is full of sharp corners, stairs and a frightening height from our balcony (11 floors) It’s crazy though, even though this law has made it more difficult and more expensive, it has really confirmed our decision and desire to adopt. I don’t know how it will work out, we might even have to move to another apartment and work more to make more money, but everything will be fine.
From: Stringoffaith.blogspot.com
At Bible study Wednesday, we talked about Hannah and how she prayed for Samuel. She begged and begged for years but our merciful and loving God kept telling her “not yet.” Our Bible study leader, Angela talked about how it was so confusing to think about. Why would the God who promised her ancestor Abraham long ago that he would multiply his offspring to the amount of the sand on the beach, the stars in the sky, and yet close her womb? It must have felt awful and she must have felt heartbroken a time or two. I really was right there too, why would God close her womb, why make her wait?? I didn’t understand. When Angela hit the point and the realization set in I was blown away. If Samuel had been born into any other time, he wouldn’t have been the man God needed to fit His perfect will. He wouldn’t have been promised to the temple, he wouldn’t have been the prophet to turn hearts back towards the God of Israel. It is just amazing to me. It blew me away. God’s timing has never made so much sense to me! My parents have always said things like, “Look at that car accident! If we had left five minutes earlier, that could have been us,” but honestly it never sunk in quite like it did on Wednesday. It never felt so real, so close, and so very personal.  I’ve begged David for a baby since the moment we were married, and he’s not felt ready for it yet. I’ve never felt the pain of infertility or miscarriages, and I don’t pretend to, but what I do claim is that I have had to wait for something I know I was designed for. I haven’t waited very patiently so far, but I honestly feel peace in the waiting right now. When we made the decision to adopt months ago, I felt like I could pluck a child right out of an orphanage right in that moment and I would be incandescently happy. While I’m sure I would have been happy, it feels so much better knowing that I’m in the middle of his plan, and right now that plan involves waiting. We’re not going to stop trying to adopt ASAP, but if it doesn’t happen in the next year, or even five, I know I can be happy in the midst of the waiting.

Here is the website that details the new law UAA: http://adoption.state.gov/adoption_process/faqs/uaa_2012.php

No comments:

Post a Comment

James 1:27

"We care for orphans NOT because we are the rescuers, but but because we are the rescued."- David Platt.
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure & faultless is this: to look after orphans & widows in their distress.