Wednesday 1 July 2015

The Definition of a Sibling Group

I was talking to some friends about our plans to adopt, describing all the things we have to do, what we want and why and I thought I was speaking in a way that people could understand. Apparently not! I've been immersed in the adoption process for two three years now, even though we're just getting started on the actual "bring-them-home-process." I've done a ton of research and read a ton of books and talked to several other adoptive families. I've been following our agency's website for about a year and reading ALL of the articles they publish that are even vaguely related to our adoption process. I don't say all of this to brag, but merely to help you understand that when I say things like "sibling group" or "dossier (doss-ee-ay)" I'm not trying to confuse you or belittle in any way! I have only forgotten that people in every day life don't use these words!

Here are a few I have been using and their meanings (some even their meanings to us!):

  • Dossier - a collection of paperwork needed to send to the country in order to be matched with a child. Usually consists of Marriage licence, birth certificates, financial information, health statements, letters of recommendation, police records, state records, and child abuse clearance.
  • Sibling group - a group of children from one family. For us that means 2-3 children, and David's preference is that we have two girls or a boy and a girl. (Yes, I know the options consist of 2's for David!) I really don't mind, I just don't want ONLY boys! I don't think I could handle that all at once!
  • Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption: The Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption is a multilateral treaty designed to apply to all international adoptions between countries that ratify it. Developed under the Hague Conference on Private International Law, the Convention is the result of a five-year process involving participants from 66 prospective member countries. This makes international adoption safer for both the kids and the parents. Making it so that 
  • Birth Mother - this is a term, obviously used to describe the woman that carried the kids in her own body and then gave them up for some reason or another. I only mention this term to say that this is the appropriate term used, and she should never be called their "real mom." The only other term that is acceptable here is "biological" parent, but this is slightly less acceptable in the adoption world. Rule of thumb, don't mention this in front of adoptive children, if you must ask, wait until the adoptive parents are alone that way you don't risk saying something that might hurt the child.
  • Most of the other words are government institutions such as Department of Justice, which is responsible for approving the adoption, the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), which I bet you can guess what part they play. 
  • If there are any other terms I have used that were difficult to understand, please message me, or comment. I would love to update, but need some feedback!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

James 1:27

"We care for orphans NOT because we are the rescuers, but but because we are the rescued."- David Platt.
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure & faultless is this: to look after orphans & widows in their distress.